Facebook changes announced last week, significantly affect the layout and the functionality of your Business Page.
From the end of the month all visitors will land on a new, Timeline page as a default. These changes unfortunately are not optional.
Facebook will be switching all Business Pages to the new framework on 30 March 2012 and you won’t have an option to revert back to the old layout.
Here is the outline of the 7 most important Facebook changes:
- 850px wide COVER PHOTO will replace the old Profile Image but may NOT contain the following:
- Price or purchase information, such as “40% off”
- “Download it at our website”.
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section.
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features.
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”.
- One of the most disappointing 2012 Facebook changes – old Welcome Tabs/Landing Pages that used to show by default to new visitors will not work as before. The pages will still work, but they will now be placed among other applications under the large COVER PHOTO. Only 4 Tabs will be visible.
- Reveal Tabs will not work as before.
- Photos, Likes and all Apps/Tabs will move from the left-hand side Menu to clickable Icons placed directly below the cover photo. Photos will show in the first spot, but you will be able to change the order of everything else.
- You can now PIN your favourite post/update to the top or highlight it to draw attention to it. Great for any important announcements.
- FAN PAGE MESSAGES – Now your Fans will be able to contact you directly instead of just posting on the wall.
- New Administration panel – You will be able to keep track of your activity on your Page from the admin panel, respond when people write on your Page timeline, and view your latest insights (visitor statistics). Additionally, in March, new admin controls will be released. This will let you set different permissions for each page admin.
This is an example of the 2012 Facebook Changes and what is your page layout will look like on 30 March 2012 (unless you update it). Click on the image to enlarge it.
Here are the implications of the impending Facebook changes on your business
- Your carefully crafted branding will disappear, you will need to start from scratch.
- Your Apps Default Landing Tabs (Welcome Pages) will be gone, Reveal Tabs will be gone gone , so lead collection will become a bit harder.
- Advertising on the Cover photo will not be permitted, so your advertising and branding will have to become far more subtle.
- The new Timeline will be far more visual, so you will have to become better friends with your graphic designer.
Visit Facebook Blog to learn more about the upcoming Facebook changes.
Pre-empt the Facebook changes and get your new Facebook branding ready.
To learn more about our Facebook branding and Facebook Marketing services, visit our Social Media Marketing page.
If you would like to receive a FREE, no obligation quotation for adding branding to your Facebook Page and help with your Facebook Marketing, please fill out the form below:
Free Quotation Request.
Please enter your details in the form below to request a FREE quotation
Other sites that discuss this topic:Facebook TimelineFacebook TimelineInternet Marketing Online MarketingWeb Design and Online Marketing